Tuesday, January 6, 2015

January 5, 2015--The weeks pass by so fast :)

Dearest fantastic Mother of mine who is most beloved,

I hope all is going well. You are totally amazing! I miss you tons! This week, I went on an exchange with Elder King (our district leader). That was on Tuesday, and one of the guys we contacted but didn't get a chance to teach ended up coming to church on Sunday! That was super cool :) It's so hard to get people to come to church yaknow? But he just came! And I think he liked it. I also had the opportunity to teach this family in Elder King's area, the dad's name is Pak S. He, his wife and his 2 sons are refugees from India. The part of India that's close to Pakistan, I can't remember the name? But his two sons are fluent in Bahasa Tamil, speak English somewhat fluently, and Bahasa Indonesia pretty good. Pak S speaks Bahasa Tamil and limited English. So, we had to teach them in English (because we don't know Bahasa Tamil at all!). Pak S has a Book of Mormon in Tamil so he can read that, and then we can discuss what he reads in English together. Their family was very humble, very happy, and didn't have much, but wanted to know about Jesus Christ and His role in their lives. I was so touched by their family. Super cool experience to be able to teach them.

New Year's Eve was this week as well and that didn't really change anything for us. Still had to do missionary work, but it was nice because no one had work, so we could meet with a lot of people.

We have two new investigators this week who are really awesome, Pak A and Ibu A. They are like 78 and 72, respectively, and married. They have tons of family who live nearby them, too, grandkids and such. We met them at the house of another investigator, a Pak S (who we have since saved for later missionaries who come to this area to try). Pak S is rather rich, so he had hired Pak A and Ibu A (who are not rich) to peel some seed-type things. I can't remember what the seeds are called, but they don't have them in America as far as I know. After Elder Sinaga and I finished teaching Pak S, we saw those two working and we went and helped them peel the seeds. They kind of resisted at first but we were persistent and helped them peel all of them. It was pretty dirty and the seed things are all wet and slimy. But they were super grateful, and I think they trusted us because we helped them, and that's the only reason we were able to get an appointment at their house. They were very humble, and already had great testimonies of Jesus Christ. I can't wait to meet with them again! They also gave us several referals that live nearby. It was cool to see how small acts of service can open hearts and open doors. 

This week we also worked with a less-active member who is struggling with the Word of Wisdom and we offered help and encouraged him to turn it over to the Lord. We also finally got to teach Ibu Y again! Ibu Y is one lady that I wrote about a few weeks ago, near the beginning of when I got here. She's been really busy with her kids and Christmas and it just hasn't worked out to meet with her until now. Her husband passed away some years ago, and she is just awesome! She asks so many questions it's really good but sometimes tries our patience :) I really have hopes for her to progress. We have one member who is going to come as a penemanan (I don't really know that word in English) and this member, Sister L, was Catholic before joining the church, and joined the church after her husband passed away, which is almost exactly like Ibu Y! I can't wait to start working with her again.

Anyways, that's about it! I love you momma and pray for you :)

Elder Paskett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.