Monday, January 19, 2015

January 19, 2015--Serving a mission

Oh great and gorgeous mother whom I just adore,

Yeah, working with people really is a difficult part of being a missionary! I'm kind of a perfectionist, and I sometimes beat myself up a little inside when I don't meet my own expectations. Back at home, when I felt I wasn't running fast enough in school or in track or in church, I could just run faster. But I'm realizing that out here, it's not that simple, because you're always running with other people. President Donald said to me in an email that sometimes we try to run faster than each other, and because of that there are times when "we need to slow down a little to run together." I've been reminded also of the scripture in D&C 38, where it says that "If ye are not one, ye are not mine". Sometimes, in my efforts to run as fast as I can, I haven't been kind or understanding, just judgmental. But I still remember a little experience in high school track where one of the runners on our team who was really fast asked me if I would run with them. I felt so much courage and hope. He didn't judge me to be slower (even though I definitely was if you looked at our race times). He just invited me, and it helped me get faster because I felt like someone else believed in me.

This week we met a few new investigators again, which I'm feeling good about! We also had one less-active who we've been focusing on come to church!! I was so happy about that. This less-active member lives far away from the church building, maybe an hour and a half, maybe less, depending on if you take Angkut or train. But he was one of the first members from Indonesia to serve a mission, he served his mission in the 70's when the church was just open in this country. His wife has since died, a few years ago. He is struggling with health problems, which has been the cause of his inactivity. My heart just goes out to this brother and I was so glad that he had the strength to go to church. He told us that his heart wasn't feeling good and he was feeling weak, but that he prayed that sunday morning to have the strength to go to church, and he was able to. That was a miracle from the Lord in response to faith. Really cool :)

Well, in Bryce's memory, we did earn many hot wife points this week ;) Going out in the rain and proselyting, riding our bikes when it's exhausting, I'm confident that my wife has at least increased from a 8 to a 9 or a 9 to a 10 ;)

Other than that, we are trying to teach lessons with the spirit and work more with the members. One goal we have as a district is for each companionship to get 4 member appointments each week, which is quite a lot considering this is a small ward and there are 3 companionships sharing it. But we really want to work with the members because a common problem here is getting people baptized who just never come to church again. So hopefully we can inspire them! 

Anyways, I love you very much mother dearest, and also, I got both of those packages, so no worries about those :) One came a few weeks ago, just after Christmas I think? and the other came this last week :) So thank you so much! I have been enjoying pigging out to swedish fish with Elder Sinaga and eating skittles :) Haha and I loved all the letters inside! I am going to watch out for volcanoes ;)

Love you!
Elder Paskett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.