Thursday, September 18, 2014

September 18, 2014--We got our visas and I am so happy!!!

Dearest wonderful Mother of mine :),

So. Last Friday. When we were supposed to get our travel plans. Instead of that, our whole district got slips of paper that said our visas hadn't arrived and we would be receiving temporary assignments. It was super duper disheartening at first. We would all get letters from people that were like, "Oh you'll be in Indonesia so soon!" but they didn't even know that actually, we probably wouldn't and it was just the weirdest thing. This whole week has been a waiting game to find out where we would be reassigned. But, today, good news came. Our visas got in today and so we're on track to go to Indonesia on Monday. :) I'm super pumped! We start packing later today :)

So for our flight, we have an hour flight to LA from SLC, and then a 4-hour layover in LA, after which we fly to Hong Kong. In Hong Kong, we have a 3.5 hour layover, and then the final 4-hour flight to Indonesia, with our estimated arrival time being 1:10 PM on September 24th. (I think that's 1:10 the 24th Indonesian time. Not sure what time it will be in Idaho.) So, I bought a little prepaid phone card, so on Monday at about 8:00 I can probably call you momma :) (from the LA airport). We can't talk for very long but I can at least say hi and hear the soothing tones of your voice for a few minutes. :)

This week, we decided to make a district goal to only speak Indonesian with each other. It has been pretty hard and we sometimes slip and talk in English. But, I think it was a good show of faith on our part, especially since we all really thought we would be in the states for 6 weeks or so before we went to Indonesia. God helps you when you put your trust in Him and try your hardest even though you can't see how it will work out. So, for our "investigator", Rik, I read from the Kitab Mormon to find an answer to a question. (Which is also what we challenged him to do). My question was this: why didn't the Lord help to get our visas on time? Haha and I read in Mosiah 23 and found this answer:

21 Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith.

22 Nevertheless—whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day. Yea, and thus it was with this people.

The righteous followers of Alma were trying to do what was right. But despite that, they were met with harsh challenges: they were forced to do slave labor by the wicked priests who had oppressed them under King Noah. However, they still put their trust in the Lord, and He lifted them up. I feel like my patience and my faith was kind of tried this week, but this scripture was an answer to my pleas, saying that I needed to just trust and continue to work hard, and at the last day, all would work out. The book of mormon can really answer our prayers when we study it under the influence of the Spirit :)

I love you all and I pray for our family all the time :) Elder Richard G Scott came on Tuesday, and he spoke about prayer. He is so old. And his talk was soo good. Prayer is really a powerful, wonderful, marvelous thing. It's amazing how we can communicate back and forth with our Father every day. One thing I've been realizing is how much He wants to hear from us. He wants us to talk to Him so bad! And He wants to talk to us. We have to make sure to listen when we pray, also.

Anyways! Next time I write you momma, I'll be in Indonesia, where it's exceedingly humid and horrendously hot. I can't wait :) I love you so so so so so much and can't wait to hear from you! Don't forget to pray every day and I won't either :)

Sampai Nanti!
Elder Paskett :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.